Did you know?
- Walnuts have been cultivated in California since the 1700’s when Franciscan missions planted walnut trees.
- Commercial production began in the late 19th century with orchards in Southern California.
- California’s Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley grow 99% of the english walnuts grown in the United States.
- 3/4 of the walnuts traded in the world come from California!
- There are more than 30 varieties of walnuts produced commercially.
Learn about Walnuts and Walnut Farmers from California Food Bloggers!
- The Seaside Baker – Recipe: Buttermilk Walnut Bread with Browned Butter Glaze
- The Seaside Baker – Recipe: Walnut Kale Basil Pesto
- California Greek Girl – Recipe: Walnut Pearl Barley Pilaf with Sweet Potatoes
- Pretty Yummy Foods – Recipe: Spinach and Walnut Pesto
- Crazy For Crust – Recipe: Maple Walnut Butter with Pie Crust Chips
- Little Leopard Book – Recipe: Thai Chicken Salad on Endive Spears
Want to learn more about walnuts in California?
- Check out this YouTube video about walnut harvesting by California Walnuts
- Visit the California Walnuts website to learn more, including food factors, tips and recipes!
- Or friend them on facebook for the latest!